Every 3 Months or 30,000 Miles
Just like your car needs regular service, I need to be seen by the oncologist every few months to make sure that all of my systems are still functioning properly. Today I had my checkup (which will now by every six months) and everything checked out OK. I provided the necessary four vials of blood and will get my tumor markers back next week. I've changed my mind about nine times since my appointment about whether I will actually call and get the results next week or wait until I get back from the beach. On one hand, if they're up for some reason, I'd hate to ruin my vacation agonizing about that, but on the other hand, the not knowing may be just as disruptive to a good vacation. Knowing myself, I imagine I'll cave and get the results before I leave.
The only other big news for today was that I was given a new prescription for Tamoxifen, my favorite of all potentially life-saving medicines. The only reason that this is noteworthy is because a new Rx means that I have almost completed the previous one and they're each good for a year. I'm almost done with year two of this stuff! That's two years of fatigue, hot flashes and joint aches behind me. Only three more to go!
I also now have a date for my exchange surgery to complete my reconstruction. This will take place on August 13 and will be an outpatient procedure. It's supposed to be a much easier recovery than the last one, so here's hoping. In interesting Melissa surgery trivia, I believe all four of my surgeries have been scheduled on the 13th of the month, with at least one of those being a Friday the 13th. I'll go next week to meet with the plastic surgeon one last time before surgery and make sure we have the same vision for the final product.
The only other big news for today was that I was given a new prescription for Tamoxifen, my favorite of all potentially life-saving medicines. The only reason that this is noteworthy is because a new Rx means that I have almost completed the previous one and they're each good for a year. I'm almost done with year two of this stuff! That's two years of fatigue, hot flashes and joint aches behind me. Only three more to go!
I also now have a date for my exchange surgery to complete my reconstruction. This will take place on August 13 and will be an outpatient procedure. It's supposed to be a much easier recovery than the last one, so here's hoping. In interesting Melissa surgery trivia, I believe all four of my surgeries have been scheduled on the 13th of the month, with at least one of those being a Friday the 13th. I'll go next week to meet with the plastic surgeon one last time before surgery and make sure we have the same vision for the final product.

Comments