Swimming Out of Cancer's Shadow
Some time today, or tomorrow, or yesterday (the time difference and television editing gets me all screwed up) a member of the US Men's Swim Team will make history. I'm not talking about Michael Phelps, though I do love me some Michael Phelps. Eric Shanteau will be probably the first athlete to compete in the Olympics before or during cancer treatment. For those of you not familiar with the story, Shanteau was diagnosed with testicular cancer shortly before competing in the Olympic trials. Since making the team, his condition has been monitored very closely by his doctors. He has chosen to delay treatment, providing his condition doesn't change, until after the Olympics.
I can't even begin to put myself in his shoes. I was so eager to have surgery and get the cancer out of me that I partially based my choice in doctors on who could do the surgery first. But I didn't have to put my life's dream on hold. If I had spent my life training to compete against the world's best athletes in the Olympic games, I would probably be making the same decision Shanteau is.
He's already proven himself to be a disciplined and focused individual and those traits will certainly prove invaluable in the fight he's about to face. I'll definitely be watching and cheering for him. It makes me sad that someone else has to join this damned club, but I'm glad he's putting a face on cancer and showing the world that it doesn't have to be a death sentence.
I can't even begin to put myself in his shoes. I was so eager to have surgery and get the cancer out of me that I partially based my choice in doctors on who could do the surgery first. But I didn't have to put my life's dream on hold. If I had spent my life training to compete against the world's best athletes in the Olympic games, I would probably be making the same decision Shanteau is.
He's already proven himself to be a disciplined and focused individual and those traits will certainly prove invaluable in the fight he's about to face. I'll definitely be watching and cheering for him. It makes me sad that someone else has to join this damned club, but I'm glad he's putting a face on cancer and showing the world that it doesn't have to be a death sentence.

Comments