The Year of 3
For me, 2010 is the year of 3s. Earlier this year I was promoted to “3” at work; my 33rd birthday is just a few weeks away; and best of all, in February I reached the 3rd anniversary of my diagnosis with a clean bill of health.
I will celebrate this milestone by participating in the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure® on the National Mall on June 5. Tens of thousands of people will gather to take a stand and prove that individuals have the power to change the world.
Without the cures, an estimated 25 million women around the world will be diagnosed with breast cancer – and 10 million could die over the next 25 years. That's why I'm joining the fight. I hope that you'll support me.
In keeping with this year’s theme of “3s,” I have three things I’d like to ask of you.
1- If you and your doctor have determined that mammography is appropriate for you because of your personal risk factors, including age and family history, look at your calendar now and see if it’s time to schedule that appointment. Until we have a cure, early detection allows for more treatment options and better odds of survival.
2- While you’re looking at your calendar, pencil in a reminder to do your monthly breast self exam (BSE).
(Guys, you can check items 1 and 2 off by reminding the women in your life.)
3- Consider donating to the Global Race for the Cure in support of Team Hoos for a Cure. In the past three years, we’ve raised $12,000 to help support Komen’s breast cancer research, screening, treatment and education programs. I know times are tough; if you are able to donate, any amount helps. Those $5 and $10 donations really do add up.
Every dollar makes a difference:
--$100 could be used to provide one mammogram
--$250 could be used to cover five clinical breast exams
--$500 could be used to provide five diagnostic ultrasounds
--$1000 could be used to provide 10 mammograms
Up to 75 percent of the Komen Global Race’s net income stays in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area to fund local screening, treatment and education programs for the medically underserved. The remaining dollars support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Global Promise Fund, a program which is dedicated to reaching underserved people in areas where breast cancer mortality rates are the highest.
To donate to Komen, please visit my personal race page.
I will celebrate this milestone by participating in the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure® on the National Mall on June 5. Tens of thousands of people will gather to take a stand and prove that individuals have the power to change the world.
Without the cures, an estimated 25 million women around the world will be diagnosed with breast cancer – and 10 million could die over the next 25 years. That's why I'm joining the fight. I hope that you'll support me.
In keeping with this year’s theme of “3s,” I have three things I’d like to ask of you.
1- If you and your doctor have determined that mammography is appropriate for you because of your personal risk factors, including age and family history, look at your calendar now and see if it’s time to schedule that appointment. Until we have a cure, early detection allows for more treatment options and better odds of survival.
2- While you’re looking at your calendar, pencil in a reminder to do your monthly breast self exam (BSE).
(Guys, you can check items 1 and 2 off by reminding the women in your life.)
3- Consider donating to the Global Race for the Cure in support of Team Hoos for a Cure. In the past three years, we’ve raised $12,000 to help support Komen’s breast cancer research, screening, treatment and education programs. I know times are tough; if you are able to donate, any amount helps. Those $5 and $10 donations really do add up.
Every dollar makes a difference:
--$100 could be used to provide one mammogram
--$250 could be used to cover five clinical breast exams
--$500 could be used to provide five diagnostic ultrasounds
--$1000 could be used to provide 10 mammograms
Up to 75 percent of the Komen Global Race’s net income stays in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area to fund local screening, treatment and education programs for the medically underserved. The remaining dollars support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Global Promise Fund, a program which is dedicated to reaching underserved people in areas where breast cancer mortality rates are the highest.
To donate to Komen, please visit my personal race page.

Comments