Flora And Fauna

My back yard drops off fairly quickly toward a creek. Occasionally debris from the construction going on next door blows down there, so when I walked by the back door today, I thought an appliance box or something had blown down. Then I did a double take and saw this:

She just stared at me for a long time and didn't startle at all as I walked out towards her.

I'm also trying to identify this giant wild flower/weed that I've noticed springing up along the road and down the bank. It looks kind of like a snap dragon, only it's giant. This particular one is as tall as I am. I'm sure these plants have always been around, I've just never noticed them before. Probably because I've never lived anywhere that was conducive to actual plant growth before.
If anyone knows what it is, I'd love to hear it!

Comments

Kathy N-H said…
Melissa- Your plant is mullein, an herbal weed common to roadsides & field edges. Its parts have many old timey medicinal uses & are considered a mild narcotic. The extracted oil from the leaves can be topically applied to fight bacteria. Tea made from mullein leaves is said to relieve diarrhea & bowel difficulties. Those large leaves can be applied directly to your backside to relieve hemorrhoids. As with most herbs, mullein has quite a history. And when your cigar box is empty the leaves can be rolled and smoked.
Melissa said…
Somehow I knew you would be the one that knew what it was. Thank you!

Popular Posts