Olympics of the Mind, or Mental Midget

I don't know whether or not to be proud of myself for solving the problem, or embarrassed that I created it in the first place. Where to begin...There was a spider web, complete with dead bug in the very top corner in my two-story foyer, and I'm having a little party next week, so I wanted the spider web gone. At the time, it seemed like an inspired idea to stand at the top of the stairs and throw balled up socks at the spider web in an attempt to knock it down. But my aim isn't all that great, so it took a lot of throws. I only stopped when one of the balls managed to land on the ledge of the window way up in the top of the foyer. So now I not only had a spider web, but a pair of argyle knee socks sitting on the ledge of the window. Probably no one would have even noticed the spider web, but you could seek the socks from outside on the street. Ughh.

After evaluating the reach of every broom and mop I own, I decided I was an idiot. Then I went upstairs to finally hang pictures and found my solution... a tape measure. Try to imagine fishing over your head, because that's what it felt like. I would just get the tape out far enough and it would collapse under its own weight. So I had to cast a little. I managed to knock the spider web down pretty easily, but my real goal was the ball of socks, which was slightly more elusive. I needed a little more weight on the end of my line, and something to grab the socks with, so I finally found some tape sticky enough and ran it up both sides of the tape measure. This finally caught the socks, and after scooting them along the edge three or four times, I was able to knock them off.

I've decided to blame my builder for this particular adventure; it couldn't possibly be my fault. How do they think you're going to clean the corners of these crazy high ceilings? I'm also glad I didn't manage to land the socks in the light hanging in the foyer. I already live in fear of some time in the future when the bulbs in it burn out. I'd have to sell the house, because I'd need a cherry picker to change them. I guess the new owners would have gotten a free pair of socks with purchase.

Comments

Popular Posts