And all the rest have 31...

Excepting Quarantine.

One month in, and we remain lucky.  Lucky to be able to stay home and safe.  Lucky that no one in our family or immediate circle has yet been sickened by this disease. 
A walk in the woods

The car finally has about 115 miles on the quarantine tank of gas, but only because we drove out to a state park yesterday for some hiking and fresh air.  We continue to go for daily bike or scooter rides, or walks, as the weather allows.  This week was horribly windy, so we stayed a bit close to home.
  Gas is down to $1.46/gallon.  I picked up groceries yesterday, and we were still able to get most of what we requested.  There were three things that I didn't get  from my order - sliced ham, coffee filters, and bubbles.  Ham and bubbles we will live without, but God help us if we run out of coffee filters.  I haven't tried yet to get paper towels or toilet paper, but I understand that is still spotty.

Today is Easter, and it was a much more subdued occasion than it normally is.  She did get to wear her Easter dress, but there was no church service to wear it to. The Easter bunny did make a visit at our house, but he was rude enough to use our eggs (that we've been hiding and finding endlessly for weeks) to stuff and hide for the Monkey to find.  Guess that's what happens when Mom has to fill the basket with things she can get through a grocery order or Amazon as a non-essential item. 

The Monkey is definitely missing her friends, but has little interest in seeing them over the organized Zoom sessions from school.  She wants to race them, and make silly faces, and give hugs, and do puzzles. She wants to be able to touch them.  And I want that for her so badly. 

Her two favorite things to play right now are hide-and-seek and tag.  And it gets frustrating when Mom has to stop playing to cook dinner, or work.  She is infinitely curious, and I am both exasperated by it, and in awe of her curiosity.

Yesterday, driving back from the park, I asked her if I could have a couple of moments of silence to concentrate on the road situation.  She asked what silence was and looked legitimately horrified when I told her that it meant no noises or talking of any kind.  "But who will answer my questions in the silence?!" she exclaimed. 

In May, we will have lived in this house for three years.  Now that we've been safe at home for a month, I'm finally ready to hang curtains on all the windows that have had empty curtain rods just staring at me for the last 35 months.  Before coronavirus, I had ordered new furniture for our living room.  The furniture store called about two weeks ago to let me know it is in, but that they'd only be willing to "drop it off on the front porch."  Thankfully, they agreed to hang on to it for a bit to see if they  will resume normal delivery operations, or hopefully at least until I can get someone to help bring it off the porch.  I've also got a vision in mind for painting the bathroom, but since I've never chosen a paint color with less than four samples, that will have to wait a bit unless there's a paint sample delivery service I'm not yet aware of.



Comments

Popular Posts