What is cancer?

  • Cancer occurs when cells in a part of the body begin to grow out of control. Normal cells divide and grow in an orderly fashion, but cancer cells do not. They continue to grow and crowd out normal cells. Although there are many kinds of cancer, they all have in common this out-of-control growth of cells.
  • While cancer is always caused by a genetic "abnormality" (a "mistake" in the genetic material), only 5–10% of cancers are inherited from your mother or father. Instead, 90% of breast cancers are due to genetic abnormalities that happen as a result of the aging process and life in general.
  • Breast cancer is the most common cancer to affect women. In 2004, about 216,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer were diagnosed in the United States, along with 59,390 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer.
  • Invasive ductal carcinoma, or IDC, accounts for about 80% of all breast cancers.
  • Less than 5 percent of all breast cancers occur in women under age 40. Women between the ages of 20 and 29 account for only 0.3% of breast cancer cases.

If you want more information, I've found these websites helpful:
Breastcancer.org
Komen Foundation
Imaginis
Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation



Comments

Kristen said…
"The better question: Who is Melissa?"

-My older sister.
-A true Hoo.
-A woman I have looked up to all my life.
-A kickboxing machine.
-A woman who has shown me how to be strong.
-The most organized and determined young woman I know.
-A woman who knows what she wants and will find a way to get it.
-A survivor in the making.

Cancer is scary. Melissa on a mission to kick its ass is scarier.

I love you and am behind you all the way.
Anonymous said…
Dear Melissa,

Your mom sent me your blog message and, although it's hard to see the computer screen because of all the tears streaming down from my face, I just wanted you to know that I have and will continue to pray for you and your family! You have an excellent support system through your family. Along with MANY prayers, I will try to be another shoulder for your mom to lean on and to give her my strength.

Looking very forward to the day that you will be able to say that you are Cancer-FREE,
Sharon Funk
Monica Nahas said…
Hi Melissa,
I haven't seen you or spoken with you in a while but I keep up with everyone through my dad. I am so sorry to hear of your news and just wanted to tell you that I will be praying for you and will be thinking of you often.
God Bless you..Monica (Gore) Nahas

Popular Posts