All the Hoos in Hooville
One of the most popular, and incorrect, urban legends in Charlottesville is that Dr. Seuss lived in the house on Lewis Mountain and wrote How the Grinch Stole Christmas about the University of Virginia. But the Grinch really would steal Christmas if the entire population of Charlottesville disappeared. That's how many people will die from breast cancer this year.I borrowed this graphic from Komen's new State of Breast Cancer report that came out last week. This report had a lot of great info in it. Some things, like a glossary, would have been a huge help when I was first diagnosed to pass out to my friends and family so they would understand just what I was talking about. There's also an interesting timeline of milestones in the fight against breast cancer. For example, tamoxifen, the drug that has been giving me so much trouble, was first approved for use in the year that I was born, and shows up a couple more times because it's so effective. Further proof that I need to keep taking it, I guess. If you have any interest in breast cancer, this is a great piece- it's easy to read and quite interesting.

Comments