Dear Cancer Happy Hour Organizers,

I was really looking forward to the opportunity to meet and connect with other young cancer survivors in the area. That's why I hauled my butt downtown in the pouring rain after a long day of work. So you can imagine my disappointment when no one else showed up for your little party. Oh, I asked around. I asked just about every person in that bar if they were there for the young cancer survivors happy hour. You think people look at you with pity when they find out you have cancer? Well it's even worse when they find out you have cancer and you're wandering around all alone in a bar. The manager, the hostess, the bartenders; none of them had heard anything about a happy hour for young cancer survivors. I decided to make the best of it and have a beer. I guess sitting down at the bar was my mistake. That's where I got to have the soul crushing discussion about why the fact that I had on a purple shirt and have short hair made me look like a lesbian. I'm not sure if that was the most humiliating part of my evening, or if it was being offered a handkerchief because I was crying on the Metro.

So, thank you for organizing such a great event. I feel a lot better about the whole cancer thing now. If you ever decide to have another "happy" hour like this one, at the very least let the people that work there know you're having it. And maybe make it possible for people to actually find you. Otherwise, if you're not going to show up, quit sending out the stupid reminder emails.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my god.

Well, at least there was a beer.

What kind of beer?

Was it good?
Anonymous said…
Maybe the lesbian thing was just a pick-up line?

Popular Posts