Taxing Times
This summer, right after I finished chemo, a study came out that said the chemo drugs I received probably weren't all that effective for me. I almost begged my doctor for more chemo, of a different kind, called Taxol. Well, a study came out yesterday that Taxol may not work so well for most breast cancers either (It's most effective in hormone - and Her2 + women; most breast cancers are hormone + and Her2 -. Mine fell into this category). This makes me really glad I didn't subject myself to four more rounds of chemo. But it also makes me really mad, fired up in a I wish I knew something about medicine, I'll cure cancer myself if I have to, kind of way. I know they make new advances every day, but I feel like for every step forward, there's a step or two back. It's a hard thing to know that you subjected yourself to pure hell, it probably didn't do you much good and there's not much else you can do about it. Studies like this will help tailor treatments to pathologies in the future, but I'd feel much better if we could find a cure, already.

Comments