I'm Too Good For You, Anyway
Before cancer took over, I had been interested in volunteering, getting involved with some organization where I could help out on nights and/or weekends with my free time. The problem, for me, was that there was nothing I was terribly passionate about or if I did find an organization I was interested in, they only wanted people during the day. Sorry, gotta work. Now that I do have a cause I can get behind 100%, I'm finding it's not nearly as easy to give back as it should be.
I know there are parts of the country where Komen has very active affiliates that put on more than just the annual Race for the Cure. Apparently DC isn't one of them, because I reached out to Komen only to get no response. I contacted a woman from the local Young Survival Coalition and asked her to add me to their newsletter list, twice, so that I would know when they were having events and meetings. Still nothing. I learned that Gilda's Club is trying to open a branch in DC and so I filled out a fairly extensive questionnaire about what I could do for them, how much time I was willing to commit, etc. and was told I'd hear something from someone within two weeks. That was about six weeks ago.
I found a group aimed at young cancer survivors called imtooyoungforthis.org They spell out right on their website what they need with and how you can help. I filled out their online form before I went to bed and had a response when I woke up the next morning. They couldn't have made it any easier to get involved.
It really shouldn't be this hard to give back. I know breast cancer is a popular cause, but you've got a young, reasonably intelligent and articulate survivor who wants to help further your mission and you can't find a way for them to get involved? I'll still support these organizations with my money, because I believe in what they do, but it's their loss that they won't also receive the gift of my time.
I know there are parts of the country where Komen has very active affiliates that put on more than just the annual Race for the Cure. Apparently DC isn't one of them, because I reached out to Komen only to get no response. I contacted a woman from the local Young Survival Coalition and asked her to add me to their newsletter list, twice, so that I would know when they were having events and meetings. Still nothing. I learned that Gilda's Club is trying to open a branch in DC and so I filled out a fairly extensive questionnaire about what I could do for them, how much time I was willing to commit, etc. and was told I'd hear something from someone within two weeks. That was about six weeks ago.
I found a group aimed at young cancer survivors called imtooyoungforthis.org They spell out right on their website what they need with and how you can help. I filled out their online form before I went to bed and had a response when I woke up the next morning. They couldn't have made it any easier to get involved.
It really shouldn't be this hard to give back. I know breast cancer is a popular cause, but you've got a young, reasonably intelligent and articulate survivor who wants to help further your mission and you can't find a way for them to get involved? I'll still support these organizations with my money, because I believe in what they do, but it's their loss that they won't also receive the gift of my time.

Comments