A Light At The End Of The Tunnel
I've had a busy morning at the oncologist's office. Where to begin... I had a blood draw and port flush in the chemo suite. Hopefully this is the last time I'll have to use my port and I'm planning to have it out in September. Just being in the infusion room made me sick to my stomach. Combine that with the smell of the heparin used to flush my port and it's a miracle I didn't decorate their floor. My counts are still low; actually most of them are as low as they were during chemo. This is mostly due to radiation and explains why I'm still so tired. I'll have to start eating lots of raisin bran again to help with the anemia.
The doctor and I covered a wide range of topics. He gave me a prescription for Tamoxifen and told me to wait a few weeks before I start taking it since I might experience some fatigue in the beginning (yippee, more fatigue) so he wants me to finish with the fatigue from radiation first. He says the hot flashes will get better once I start taking Tamoxifen, which is the exact opposite of what my surgeon said. He thinks I'll get my period back in 2-6 months and then the hot flashes will stop. In the mean time, he wrote me a prescription for Ambien so I can get some sleep. He cautioned me not to get pregnant while taking Tamoxifen because of the potential for birth defects. I will take Tamoxifen for the next five years, but if I want to get pregnant before then we can talk about it, after I've taken it for at least two years.
What happens now? I'll see him every three months for follow up for the next two years. He will do blood work, including the tumor marker CA 27.29. What is CA 27.29? "The CA 27.29 test measures the level of CA 27.29 antigen, which is found in the blood of breast cancer patients. As breast cancer progresses, the level of CA 27.29 antigen in the blood rises. In theory, by monitoring CA 27.29 test results oncologists can determine if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, which is called metastasis. " Unfortunately, this test isn't as reliable as doctors had once hoped, so we'll really only be using it for trending. That is, if there is an upward trend over multiple tests, then we'll worry. But just because it is elevated doesn't mean there is metastasis. Basically, this is the only test they've got, even though it isn't all that great. I can call tomorrow and get the results of my initial CA 27.29 test. I will also continue to have a mammogram each year and MRIs as my surgeon deems appropriate.
He encouraged me to think about having the genetic testing for BRCA 1 and 2 and I have agreed to consider it, even though I previously said I would not have it. I'm going to do more research and we will discuss it at my next appointment.
So, I don't have to go back to that doctor for three months. Once I finish radiation next week, I don't have to see her for three months either. I might actually get to resume a "normal" life!
The doctor and I covered a wide range of topics. He gave me a prescription for Tamoxifen and told me to wait a few weeks before I start taking it since I might experience some fatigue in the beginning (yippee, more fatigue) so he wants me to finish with the fatigue from radiation first. He says the hot flashes will get better once I start taking Tamoxifen, which is the exact opposite of what my surgeon said. He thinks I'll get my period back in 2-6 months and then the hot flashes will stop. In the mean time, he wrote me a prescription for Ambien so I can get some sleep. He cautioned me not to get pregnant while taking Tamoxifen because of the potential for birth defects. I will take Tamoxifen for the next five years, but if I want to get pregnant before then we can talk about it, after I've taken it for at least two years.
What happens now? I'll see him every three months for follow up for the next two years. He will do blood work, including the tumor marker CA 27.29. What is CA 27.29? "The CA 27.29 test measures the level of CA 27.29 antigen, which is found in the blood of breast cancer patients. As breast cancer progresses, the level of CA 27.29 antigen in the blood rises. In theory, by monitoring CA 27.29 test results oncologists can determine if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, which is called metastasis. " Unfortunately, this test isn't as reliable as doctors had once hoped, so we'll really only be using it for trending. That is, if there is an upward trend over multiple tests, then we'll worry. But just because it is elevated doesn't mean there is metastasis. Basically, this is the only test they've got, even though it isn't all that great. I can call tomorrow and get the results of my initial CA 27.29 test. I will also continue to have a mammogram each year and MRIs as my surgeon deems appropriate.
He encouraged me to think about having the genetic testing for BRCA 1 and 2 and I have agreed to consider it, even though I previously said I would not have it. I'm going to do more research and we will discuss it at my next appointment.
So, I don't have to go back to that doctor for three months. Once I finish radiation next week, I don't have to see her for three months either. I might actually get to resume a "normal" life!

Comments
And if it doesn't make me look stupid, but it's still too nosy, just ignore me. :-)
Mmmmm....raisin bran. I think I'll pick up a box.
I talked about my decision not to have genetic testing in the June 25 post Diving into the Gene Pool. I don't feel like the test is a definitive answer on whether or not this is hereditary and I'm not ready to give up my breasts and ovaries yet. But I may change my mind!