Fewer US Women Get Breast Cancer Test

That is one of the headlines on the front page of today's Washington Post. And reading the article just thoroughly ticked me off. For some reason, the proportion of women getting mammograms is actually decreasing. The article speculates that long wait times for appointments, the decrease in the use of hormone replacement therapy and increased survival rates have caused women to actually postpone this vital test. I'm sorry, but these aren't good enough reasons for me.

Mammograms are recommended yearly for women over 40. I am certain that I wouldn't be here to turn 40 if I hadn't gotten a mammogram this year. I know it's not the most comfortable thing ever, but I can promise you, breast cancer is more uncomfortable. One of the reasons that survival rates for breast cancer have improved so much is because of the use of mammogram as a screening tool. The earlier breast cancer is caught, the better the prognosis. Please don't put off this test, it really could save your life!

You can read the entire article here.

Comments

Kristen said…
Melissa,
I know that your vigilance saved your life and because of that, you have been a lesson to so many women, young and old. You are a hero in more ways than you know.

Popular Posts