Booze and Boobs Don't Mix

A new research study released yesterday by Kaiser Permanente shows an increased risk of breast cancer in women who had one drink a day. That risk tripled for women with three drinks a day. I've seen studies linking alcohol and breast cancer before, but this is pretty significant. It's also interesting because so many women have been told to have a glass of wine a day to help prevent heart disease.

I've changed a lot of things about the way I live and especially how I eat since I was diagnosed. I buy only organic dairy and meat to avoid the added hormones. I try really hard to get at least five fruit and veggie servings a day. I try to avoid soy. I'm trying to eat more "whole" foods and less processed crap. I have about one drink a month. And I was taking good care of myself six months ago.

It's one thing to see a laundry list of risk factors which includes alcohol, but when they can say one drink a day raises your risk by ten percent, that's pretty scary for someone who's risk is already higher than zero.

Comments

Popular Posts