Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
"You're so brave." I've heard that a lot over the past six months and it sometimes makes me want to scream. I'm not brave. Brave is when you know the risk, and choose to accept it anyway. Brave is running into a burning building. Brave is fighting in a war thousands of miles from home so that the ones you love don't have to. PFC Thomas Wilson was brave.
Thomas was killed Monday in Paktika, Afghanistan when his patrol was ambushed. He will be laid to rest today, four days before he was due home on leave. I believe Thomas is the first soldier from Shenandoah County killed during this war, though certainly that is one too many. I am privileged to know Thomas's family through Josh and I know how deeply his loss is felt, in his family and in this community.
Please take a moment today to remember the sacrifice that Thomas has made for his country and to be thankful for the truly brave men and women among us.
Thomas was killed Monday in Paktika, Afghanistan when his patrol was ambushed. He will be laid to rest today, four days before he was due home on leave. I believe Thomas is the first soldier from Shenandoah County killed during this war, though certainly that is one too many. I am privileged to know Thomas's family through Josh and I know how deeply his loss is felt, in his family and in this community.
Please take a moment today to remember the sacrifice that Thomas has made for his country and to be thankful for the truly brave men and women among us.

Comments