Beam Me Up, Scotty!
Now that I've completed nearly 2/3 of my radiation, I'm finally getting around to explaining how it works. Everyday I stretch out on a table and the technicians line me up using my tattoos. The radiation machine looks very much like the one in the picture below and it rotates into position over me for the first three segments of my treatment. Then it rotates to a second position slightly to my side and below me for the final three bursts.

The radiation beams cover the whole breast, like the picture below. In reality, radiation is invisible and I have six different angles, three from each position shown below. This allows the beams to be focused so that they don't hit necessary parts like lungs and the heart. If you want more information on radiation, you can find it here. I will have five more treatments like this and then nine "boosts" where the radiation is aimed directly at the former tumor site.
I had a great weekend and finally feel somewhat rested. Saturday I went to Fredericksburg to hang out with Jill. Thanks Mama C. for treating us to Carl's Frozen Custard! There really is nothing in the world that compares to Carl's. I also got a great pair of Luchesse cowboy boots at Carlton, Ltd's store closing sale. I can't wait for cooler weather to wear them! Yesterday I got to spend more time with my favorite baby, Jackson. I won't get to see him next weekend, so I had to cram in two trips this weekend. Plus I just like hanging out with Kristen and Josh.
So this week is my last of the whole breast radiation, then boosts start next Monday. Also next week I have another visit to the oncologist and I'll be starting Tamoxifen. That's the final piece in this puzzle and I'll be glad to get it underway.

The radiation beams cover the whole breast, like the picture below. In reality, radiation is invisible and I have six different angles, three from each position shown below. This allows the beams to be focused so that they don't hit necessary parts like lungs and the heart. If you want more information on radiation, you can find it here. I will have five more treatments like this and then nine "boosts" where the radiation is aimed directly at the former tumor site.
I had a great weekend and finally feel somewhat rested. Saturday I went to Fredericksburg to hang out with Jill. Thanks Mama C. for treating us to Carl's Frozen Custard! There really is nothing in the world that compares to Carl's. I also got a great pair of Luchesse cowboy boots at Carlton, Ltd's store closing sale. I can't wait for cooler weather to wear them! Yesterday I got to spend more time with my favorite baby, Jackson. I won't get to see him next weekend, so I had to cram in two trips this weekend. Plus I just like hanging out with Kristen and Josh.So this week is my last of the whole breast radiation, then boosts start next Monday. Also next week I have another visit to the oncologist and I'll be starting Tamoxifen. That's the final piece in this puzzle and I'll be glad to get it underway.

Comments