Forecast: Crazy, With A Chance of Tears
I've been very busy this week. When I'm not at work or at radiation, and sometimes when I am, I'm crying. There is no real reason for this. Nothing happened to set me off, I just spontaneously erupt. It's exhausting. I thought it would pass, but this storm front seems to have settled in for a good long stay, kind of like the heat wave outside.
When I saw my doctor after treatment on Thursday I mentioned it to her, and started crying. She said it is very common and they often see post traumatic stress disorder in cancer patients. You marshall all of your emotional resources to get through the stress of diagnosis, surgery, chemo, etc. and then when you reach the end, your resources are just depleted. She assured me that there's nothing "wrong" with me and that this will pass. She's arranged for me to see the therapist they have on staff Monday after my treatment and also set me up with a support group for young women with breast cancer in Alexandria on Tuesday.
Hopefully this is a passing storm and I won't need to be carted off by men in white coats. Until it does, I need your help. First, I do a lot better when I'm busy, so if you find yourself in my neighborhood, give me a call. Let's go to the movies, for a walk, out for a beer (I think I can handle half a drink these days), bowling, anything. Help me get out of the house so I have less time to think. Second, please don't be offended if I a-cry and b-don't want to talk about it. It's nothing personal. I'm just a little crazy right now.
When I saw my doctor after treatment on Thursday I mentioned it to her, and started crying. She said it is very common and they often see post traumatic stress disorder in cancer patients. You marshall all of your emotional resources to get through the stress of diagnosis, surgery, chemo, etc. and then when you reach the end, your resources are just depleted. She assured me that there's nothing "wrong" with me and that this will pass. She's arranged for me to see the therapist they have on staff Monday after my treatment and also set me up with a support group for young women with breast cancer in Alexandria on Tuesday.
Hopefully this is a passing storm and I won't need to be carted off by men in white coats. Until it does, I need your help. First, I do a lot better when I'm busy, so if you find yourself in my neighborhood, give me a call. Let's go to the movies, for a walk, out for a beer (I think I can handle half a drink these days), bowling, anything. Help me get out of the house so I have less time to think. Second, please don't be offended if I a-cry and b-don't want to talk about it. It's nothing personal. I'm just a little crazy right now.

Comments
Hang in there.
I should have checked the website out myself before posting because it was incorrectly listed in my magazine. Correct website address for Big Brothers Big Sisters is: bbbs.org