Like Drinking Water from a Fire Hose

I've been doing a lot of research. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what's in store, what my options are, what decisions I need to make. So I've been on the Internet. And I've gotten some books. Six of them, to be exact. I've got two that cover the "basics," one that provides practical tips, two aimed at young women with breast cancer and one on preventing breast cancer through diet. (I know, I'm a little late on that last one, but I plan on doing everything I can to keep this from coming back)

I'm reading these books, all six at once, matching up the relevant chapters. And then I have more questions, so I google a few key words, and get 1,570,000 answers. But the only thing I've really learned is that there isn't a lot of research on young women with breast cancer. Studies have focused on the typical breast cancer patient, who has an average age of 64. And let's face it, not too many 64 year-old women are worried about having children after breast cancer. We don't know what impact these drugs will have on our bodies in 30, 40, even 50 years, because they haven't been around that long and because most people who get them wouldn't live that long anyway.

I'm just glad my doctors are smart people, because I'll never understand it all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will be praying for you. Not sure if your into this sort of thing or not but there is a movie I just watched at our church on Sunday called "Facing the Giants". It's a true story of hope. I'm a mans man and I cried like 5 times and it was a football movie of all things. Anway we'll be praying for you. Humble Travels A.K.A Gordon

Popular Posts