You Got the Right One, Baby!

Please, make sure you get the right one. Not the left one.

Surgery is now scheduled for this Tuesday, March 13. I'm glad it's not the Ides of March. I will register at 9:45, get my sentinel node injection at 10:30 and surgery will be at 12:30. I'll be good and cranky by then since I can't have anything to eat after midnight and I have to rub some stuff on my chest and then wrap it in Saran Wrap. I'm sure that's going to be comfy.

I'm glad things are starting to happen a little more quickly. We all know patience isn't my strong suit.

The first surgeon, who I told yesterday I had decided to go with another doctor, called my primary care doctor today to tell them that I "cancelled" my surgery. So Margo, my rock star nurse, thought I had completely lost my mind and called to check on me. Once I told her that I was just going with another surgeon, she relaxed a little. Don't worry- I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to want to keep the cancer in me.

I will go to stay with Mom & Dad for a few days after surgey so I have someone at my beck and call while I recover. I know this is exactly what Dad had in mind when he retired. I'll plan on staying home from work for the rest of the week. I have a couple of things to do to get ready, like laundering all of my comfy clothes, but otherwise I'm excited this is happening soon.

I'll be watching the UVA-NC State game at my friend Margaret's tonight then heading to Woodstock in the morning for a quick visit. Go 'Hoos!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Melissa, So glad to know that by choosing Surgeon #2, you have only delayed surgery by one day!
And so glad you are getting some type of positive news with each visit to your doctors.
Sandy gave me the February 28 edition of the Washington Post yesterday. I assume you already have it, but on the cover of the Style section is an article featuring the annual Young Survival Coalition and Living Beyond Cancer conference. Isn't this the group about which you posted early on? The author of the article is a young journalist who is also fighting the disease. Her message purports a "Cancer can kiss our ass" theme...spunky, resilient, courageous, humorous and emphasizes the "collegiality" among the coalition members. If you haven't read it and want to, let me know and I will send it your way.
Keeping you close in thought and prayer,
Suzan
Renae said…
Melissa, You are an incredible woman. You have an amazing amount of courage and a wonderful attitude. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin this part of your journey.

Renae McCormick

Popular Posts