The Role of Oncologist Will Now Be Played By...
An unexpected change in the cast of characters for the new dramady that is my life. My oncologist told me on Monday that their practice will be closing. She seemed just as upset by this news as I am, so I don't have a lot in the way of details. I waited this long to talk about it here because they hadn't told the staff yet. We knew each other socially before my diagnosis, so she wanted to make sure I knew instead of just getting a letter in the mail.
What does this mean for me? Well, she believes I will still be able to have my chemo treatment there next Thursday, but the remainder will have to take place somewhere else. She is going to place me with a colleague that she trusts for my care, though I don't yet know who this doctor is going to be. I will see this person for the rest of my chemo treatments and blood work. I can then decide to either continue seeing the new doctor for all of my follow ups, hormone therapy, etc. or rejoin my original doctor once she settles into a new practice, most likely at Georgetown.
I haven't been as upset by this as I thought I might. I know that she's going to see that I get my treatment on schedule and find me a doctor she trusts, so it's all going to be fine. As far as what will happen beyond chemo, I'll just have to wait and see how I like the new doctor and then weigh whether or not it's worth a trip to Georgetown.
More hair loss this morning. I dreamed that when I woke up, all of my hair on the side I had been sleeping on stayed on the pillow. Fortunately, only some of the hair stayed on the pillow. I opted to skip the conditioner in the shower and skip the product and blow dry in an attempt to avoid any further follicular trauma. Right now, I'm just hoping I can go without developing a large bald spot before I get to Woodstock tomorrow night.
Special thanks to Jill for the endless loop of Randy Travis now playing in my head!
What does this mean for me? Well, she believes I will still be able to have my chemo treatment there next Thursday, but the remainder will have to take place somewhere else. She is going to place me with a colleague that she trusts for my care, though I don't yet know who this doctor is going to be. I will see this person for the rest of my chemo treatments and blood work. I can then decide to either continue seeing the new doctor for all of my follow ups, hormone therapy, etc. or rejoin my original doctor once she settles into a new practice, most likely at Georgetown.
I haven't been as upset by this as I thought I might. I know that she's going to see that I get my treatment on schedule and find me a doctor she trusts, so it's all going to be fine. As far as what will happen beyond chemo, I'll just have to wait and see how I like the new doctor and then weigh whether or not it's worth a trip to Georgetown.
More hair loss this morning. I dreamed that when I woke up, all of my hair on the side I had been sleeping on stayed on the pillow. Fortunately, only some of the hair stayed on the pillow. I opted to skip the conditioner in the shower and skip the product and blow dry in an attempt to avoid any further follicular trauma. Right now, I'm just hoping I can go without developing a large bald spot before I get to Woodstock tomorrow night.
Special thanks to Jill for the endless loop of Randy Travis now playing in my head!

Comments